librarylass

The Library Lass Booklikes Blog

Nightwalker
Allyson James
Bless Your Mechanical Heart
Seanan McGuire;Fiona Patton;Lucy A. Snyder;Jean Rabe;M. Todd Gallowglas;Mae Empson;Sarah Hans;Dylan Birtolo;Lillian Cohen-Moore;Christopher Kellen;Jason Sanford;Kerrie Hughes;Minerva Zimmerman;Mark Andrew Edwards;Ken Scholes;Jody Lynn Nye;Peter Clines
Heartless
Gail Carriger

Indexing by Seanan McGuire

Indexing - Seanan McGuire

Indexing is urban fantasy and science fiction author Seanan McGuire's cracked fairy tale in Kindle serial format. This was my first experience with a Kindle serial, an experience I will give a mixed review. However, the plot of McGuire's urban fantasy-flavored cracked fairy tale was fun, exciting and very enjoyable.
In Indexing, McGuire tells the story of a team of fairy tale cops, a team of misfit fairy tale characters charged with stopping the harmful effects of fairy tale incursions from damaging the human world. The story itself was fantastic - McGuire's writing is, as usual, flawless; the characters are unique and yet relatable; and the plot is exciting and interesting. However, I rather disliked the Kindle serial format - it was too long between episodes, and I found that I did better if I let a few episodes accrue rather than reading the story one chapter at a time with two weeks between each chapter. I would try another Kindle serial, but I wish the episodes were released no more than a week apart.
Fans of McGuire's other work, especially her October Daye and InCryptid urban fantasy series, will almost certainly enjoy Indexing. Cracked fairy tale fans - think Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles or Adam Gidwitz's A Tale Dark & Grimm series - will also likely enjoy the story. My only complaint about Indexing was the long wait between episodes, owing to the Kindle serial format.
4.5 Stars

Read this review and more on The Library Lass Book Talk Blog.