librarylass

The Library Lass Booklikes Blog

Nightwalker
Allyson James
Bless Your Mechanical Heart
Seanan McGuire;Fiona Patton;Lucy A. Snyder;Jean Rabe;M. Todd Gallowglas;Mae Empson;Sarah Hans;Dylan Birtolo;Lillian Cohen-Moore;Christopher Kellen;Jason Sanford;Kerrie Hughes;Minerva Zimmerman;Mark Andrew Edwards;Ken Scholes;Jody Lynn Nye;Peter Clines
Heartless
Gail Carriger

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel - Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a delightful, unmistakably Gaiman-ish fantasy about childhood, growing up and the journey in between. The audiobook, narrated by Gaiman, is an excellent way to experience this novel - who doesn't want Gaiman to read them a story? Gaiman fans will undoubtedly want to read this gem of a book.
The Ocean at the End of the Lane tells the story of a young boy who, with the help of a friend, survives a terrifying experience. This is a true coming-of-age story, complete with the frightening realities of childhood and the journey to adulthood. My only minor complaint was that the pacing was a bit uneven, but overall it was a lovely story.
Rating The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a challenge. On the one hand, I'm inclined to use a Gaiman-specific scale, since nearly everything he writes is (in my opinion) fantastic. On the other hand, that's a bit of a daunting scale, so the usual scale might be better. On the Gaiman scale, I'd give this a 4 (he still hasn't topped The Graveyard Book , in my opinion). But perhaps that sells this beautiful book a bit short.
4.5 Stars

Read this review and more on The Library Lass Book Talk Blog.